Welcome to the AAAS Project 2061 Science Assessment Website
The assessment items on this website are the result of more than a decade of research and development by Project 2061, a long-term science education reform initiative of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Here you will find free access to more than 1000 items. The items:
- Are appropriate for upper elementary, middle, and early high school students.
- Test student understanding in the earth, life, and physical sciences, and the nature of science.
- Test for common misconceptions as well as correct ideas.
This website also includes:
- Data on how well U.S. students are doing in science and where they are having difficulties, broken out by gender, English language learner status, and whether the students are in middle school or high school.
- “My Item Bank,” a feature that allows you to select, save, and print items and answer keys (requires site registration).
- A feature that allows you to create and take tests online using items from the item collection (requires site registration).
- Results of two special projects, one on energy (ASPECt) and one on evolution.
Intended primarily for teachers, these assessment items and resources will also be useful to education researchers, test developers, and anyone who is interested in the performance of middle and high school students in science.
View key ideas, items, and misconceptions for the original project and two special projects by browsing the topics.