DISCLAIMER: The webmaster in no way construes this list to represent an endorsement of the journal titles provided. A list of predatory publishers and their journals, i.e. publishers whose business model is based upon soliciting publication fees from authors, is available here.
Here’s a list of science education journals:
- African Journal of Research in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education (continues Journal of the Southern African Association for Research in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education);
- The American Biology Teacher (for links to past issues and submission guidelines move your cursor over the link on the left entitled “Publications”);
- Brunei International Journal of Mathematics and Science Education, a new journal being started up by Editor Prof Harkirat Dhindsa, [email protected];
- The Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education with links to the contents of past issues and submission guidelines;
- CBE-Life Sciences Education, (formerly called Cell Biology Education) is an online, quarterly journal owned and published by the American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) in editorial partnership with the Genetics Society of America. The journal publishes original, peer-reviewed articles on research and evaluation related to life sciences education, as well as articles about evidence-based biology instruction at all levels;
- The Chemical Educator, another new journal with links to submission guidelines and suggestions for authors;
- Constructivist Foundations, a new e-journal of potential interest for science educators;
- Cultural Studies of Science Education, a new journal of interest for scholars interested in the intersection between cultural studies and science education;
- The Cypriot Journal of Educational Sciences;
- The Electronic Journal of Science Education, with links to past issues and submission guidelines; send manuscripts to Michael Kamen ([email protected]);
- Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education (EJMSTE), a new academic journal devoted to the publication of research articles on all aspects of mathematics, science and technology education. All research articles are reviewed by editors consisting of internationally respected science and mathematics educators,researchers, and practitioners. It is published twice a year;
- European Journal of Science and Mathematics Education. The Journal is intended to be an open-access, peer-reviewed, quarterly journal that will not require any charges for publication of articles. The Journal has been founded with the aim of stimulating discussions on contemporary topics in Science and Mathematics Education and to foster the application of the results in primary, secondary, and higher education. Research papers as well as papers on innovation of teaching techniques and technologies are all welcome for speedy publication.
- Excellence in College Science Teaching, a peer-reviewed journal published since 1990 by and for faculty at universities and two- and four-year colleges to increase student learning through effective teaching, interest in and enthusiasm for the profession of teaching, and communication among faculty about their classroom experiences;
- Foundations of Chemistry, a journal devoted to the history and philosophy of chemistry which from time to time includes articles devoted to pedagogical issues, with links to the contents of past issues and submission guidelines;
- Gamtamokslinis Ugdymas/Natural Science Education is an periodical, peer reviewed, scientific-methodical journal, issued by the SMC “Scientia Educologica”. It is a international journal, wherein the scientific and methodical articles published in Lithuanian, English and Russian languages;
- Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-based Learning, a bi-annual, peer-reviewed, online periodical dedicated to the theory and the practice of problem-based learning (PBL);
- International Journal of Biology Education, published since September 2011
- International Journal of Environmental & Science Education, now published free on-line;
- International Journal of Math and Science Education, a new journal that will serve as an international forum for the contemporary call of integrating science and
- International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning;
- International Journal of Science Education, with links to information about contents and submission guidelines;
- Journal for Activist Science and Technology Education (JASTE). This open-source, community-reviewed journal will be published twice a year;
- Journal of Astronomy and Earth Sciences Education (JAESE) (including the current issue and submission guidelines);
- Journal of Baltic Science Education and its submission guidelines;
- Journal of Cities and the Environment, a web based journal that has an education section that will focus on the sharing of educational research that contributes to our knowledge of how students understand the environment, their perceptions and beliefs regarding the environment, impact of environmental education programs/curricula on student outcomes, professional development models that support teachers in implementing environmentally focused programs in their schools;
- The Journal of Geoscience Education, the official publication of the National Association of Geoscience Teachers;
- Journal of the Learning Sciences;
- The Journal of Science Teacher Education (the official journal of AETS), including abstracts of articles from recent issues, and submission guidelines;
- Journal of Science Education and Technology;
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching (the official journal of NARST) and its submission guidelines;
- KHIMIYA/CHEMISTRY, ISSN 0861-9255, the Bulgarian Journal of Chemical Education, is available by contacting the editor, Professor B.V. Toshev, at [email protected] Manuscripts may be written in either Bulgarian or English;
- Problems of Education in the 21st Century, an international, non-periodical, peer reviewed scientific collection, issued by the SMC “Scientia Educologica”;
- Research in Science Education, the official journal of the Australasian Science Education Research Association (ASERA) and its submission guidelines;
- Research in Science and Technological Education, with links to information about contents and submission guidelines;
- School Science Review and its submission guidelines;
- School Science and Mathematics, official journal of the School Science and Mathematics Association (SSMA) and its submission policies;
- Science & Education, the official research journal of The International History, Philosophy, and Science Teaching Group (IHPST);
- Science Education and its submission guidelines.
- The Science Education Review(SEC), a comprehensive review of the international science education literature, plus a wealth of readily-implemented classroom activities for the busy primary and high school teacher;
- Science Education International, the official journal of International Council of Associations for Science Education (ICASE).
- Science Education Review, a practitioner’s journal for elementary and secondary science teachers. The site includes submission guidelines for contributors;
- The Science Educator, a peer-reviewed journal focusing primarily on K-16 STEM issues, with emphasis on research based studies having practical implications for the teaching of science, teacher preparation;
- Science in School, a new journal devoted to practitioner’s issues in the teaching and learning of science;
- Studies in Science Education, a review journal based in the UK.
If any of the above links are broken, please contact Dave Rudge either by email, by phone (269)-387-2779 or by fax (269)-387-5609.
Dave Rudge’s Home Page.
The Department of Biological Sciences’s Home Page.
The Mallinson Institute for Science Education’s Home Page.
Western Michigan University’s Home Page.
Last updated on 30 Sep 2018.