Face masks are helping keep people safe during the COVID pandemic but they are posing a risk to dogs.
The Foster Hospital for Small Animals at Tufts University in Grafton said they have seen about a dozen dogs that have eaten face masks, some of which have needed emergency surgery.
Catherine Stecyk, a surgeon and resident at the Foster Hospital said she could see the “fitted nosepiece of a face mask” using x-rays on King, a 2-year-old Labrador retriever.
“We took King to emergency surgery, where I felt two wads of material,” said Stecyk. “One was stuck in the stomach and extending into the beginning of the small intestine, causing it to bunch up, and the other one was a bit farther down the intestine. The intestine was inflamed and bruised, but not yet traumatized to the point of perforation, which was really lucky.”
The 2-year-old Lab was able to