Vacunacionadultos

COVID-19 prompts San Antonio’s University Health to spend more on extra nurses for surge, domestic violence victims

Anticipating a winter surge of COVID-19, Bexar County’s public hospital system will hire more nurses and provide more services for victims of family violence, which officials say has increased significantly during the pandemic.

At a meeting Tuesday night, the University Health board of managers approved spending $5 million to cover the cost of adding up to 40 temporary nurses per month in hospital’s coronavirus units.

“We do need these nurses in response to surges and other situations that are out of our control,” said Tommye Austin, senior VP and chief nursing officer at University Health.

On ExpressNews.com: Get the latest update on coronavirus and a tracking map of U.S. cases

University Hospital officials say projections show the coming increase in cases may not be as bad as it was during the summer, but that depends largely on how San Antonio residents act during the holiday season.

University Health President George

Read More

University of Michigan to pay $9.25M settlement to victims of alleged sexual misconduct by former provost

ANN ARBOR, MI — Eight unnamed women have reached a settlement with the University of Michigan in their case regarding sexual misconduct accusations against former provost Martin Philbert.

The university will pay the women $9.25 million in the settlement that includes provisions allowing the women — who are all current or former university employees — to continue to work with the university, as well as some policy changes, according to Sarah Prescott, an attorney with Salvatore Prescott Porter and Porter.

The women are not being named to protect their privacy. Prescott said they were not available for comment.

Also included in the settlement is a “unique element” that does not cover Philbert, which means there is a path for Prescott’s clients to legally pursue Philbert directly, she said.

In January, Philbert was put on administrative leave due to multiple allegations of sexual misconduct. Less than two months later, the university

Read More

University of Michigan paying $9.25M to abuse victims

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The University of Michigan said Wednesday it will pay $9.25 million to eight women who reported emotional or sexual abuse by a man who became the school’s chief academic officer.

“We thank them for their courage and we apologize to each one of them and to all survivors,” the university said.

Martin Philbert spent 25 years at the university, rising from toxicology professor to dean of the School of Public Health and then provost in 2017, a job that paid $570,000 a year.

An investigation found that Philbert committed sexual misconduct during his long career, harassing graduate students and staff and regularly having trysts in campus offices, according to a law firm hired by U-M.

Philbert was fired in March, weeks after being put on leave by President Mark Schlissel. He quit as a faculty member in June.

Philbert hasn’t talked publicly about the allegations.

“The

Read More

Afghans mourn victims of horrific university attack by Islamic State

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Afghanistan declared a national day of mourning on Tuesday to honor the 22 people killed in a horrific attack a day earlier on Kabul University, which was claimed by the Islamic State group. Most of those killed were students and another 27 people were wounded, some of them critically.

The brutal, hours-long assault on Monday was the second attack on an educational institution in the Afghan capital in as many weeks amid a soaring rise in violence and chaos across the country, even as the Taliban and government negotiators hold peace talks in the Gulf Arab state of Qatar.

The Islamic State affiliate also claimed the earlier attack, on Oct. 24, that killed 24 students at a tutoring center in Kabul’s mostly Shiite neighborhood of Dasht-e-Barchi. The militant group has declared war on the country’s minority Shiites and has claimed a number of vicious attacks since

Read More

Afghans mourn 35 victims in IS university attack – World

Journalists film inside a classroom on Tuesday after a terror attack at Kabul University in the Afghan capital. MUHAMMAD ISMAIL/REUTERS

Afghanistan declared a national day of mourning on Tuesday to honor the 35 mostly students killed in a horrific attack a day earlier on Kabul University, claimed by the Islamic State group.

Another 50 people were injured, some of them critically, government sources said.

Special prayers will be held at mosques across the country and national flags will be half-hoisted at government buildings and Afghan diplomatic missions abroad, the presidential office said in a statement.

Gunmen stormed Kabul University, shooting at students in their classroom and clashing with security forces for hours on Monday.

The assault was the second attack on an educational institution in the Afghan capital in as many weeks as violence and chaos soar across Afghanistan, even as Taliban negotiators and government officials hold peace talks in

Read More

Suicide bombing at Kabul education centre kills 24, students among the victims

By Abdul Qadir Sediqi and Orooj Hakimi

KABUL (Reuters) – A suicide bombing at an education centre in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul killed 24 people including teenage students and wounded dozens more on Saturday, officials said.

A Ministry of Interior spokesman, Tariq Arian, said security guards had identified a bomber who detonated explosives in the street outside the Kawsar-e Danish centre.

Most of the victims were students aged between 15 and 26, according to the health ministry. Fifty-seven were injured in the attack, the interior ministry said.

A Taliban spokesman on Twitter denied responsibility for the attack, which came at a sensitive time as teams representing the insurgents and the government meet in Qatar to seek a peace deal.

Islamic State claimed responsibility in a statement on Telegram, without providing evidence.

Family members gathered at a nearby hospital, searching for missing loved ones among bags containing the remains of those killed,

Read More

University of Westminster and its partners to launch free legal advice service for victims of the Windrush scandal

LONDON, Oct. 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — The University of Westminster Legal Advice Clinic has brought together university law clinics, Law Centres, community groups and members of the community to join forces and launch The Windrush Justice Clinic, offering independent free legal advice and assistance to victims of the Windrush scandal in making claims under the Windrush Compensation Scheme.

The new Windrush Justice Clinic, which is already taking enquiries and will see clients from 2 November 2020, takes a specialist approach that seeks to recompense applicants justly, offering advice, assistance, casework and representation as appropriate. Where specialist immigration advice or legal representation is needed, the Clinic can refer clients to a specialist within their network.

The collaborative partnership consists of the University of Westminster Legal Advice Clinic, University of Greenwich Legal Advice Clinic, London South Bank University Legal Advice Clinic, North Kensington Law Centre, Southwark Law Centre and community

Read More